Monday, June 18, 2012

My Last Dance... sort of


1,2..3, 4..chasse, pas de bourree...passe, plie. I have been dancing since elementary school, and have never regretted it. My mom was the one who signed me up and came up with the idea, but I was the one that chose to stick with it.

Before a performance, people would ask me whether I was nervous and I would always nod my head, but during the moment just before going on stage, the butterflies in my stomach would disappear. Instead I would feel a rush of adrenaline and excitement when on stage; I would feel like a different person.

Most of my friends have never seen me perform before, but they assume that I am really good since I have been dancing for a majority of my life. Unfortunately,... I wouldn't say I am. I am fairly flexible and have a tendency to surprise myself once in a while, but I lack the strength that allows a ballet dancer to receive the ability to hold a pose to what seems to be forever.

As I was looking at a dance calender that hung in the studio a couple years back, I found a picture of a ballet dancer doing a penche. I was amazed at the pose and stared at it for a good five minutes trying to take in the image. On that day I vowed to accomplish this move sometime in the future, and so whenever I would see a picture like this,

 
 a rush of inspiration would flow through my body.

Everyday in the studio is different and interesting. One day you can find your center easily and do so many turns that you lose count, but other days you can lose your center and end up barely even doing three. Each day is a chance to conquer my balance and master the techniques. Ballet educates me to be mentally and physically stronger.

Since I will be going off to college this fall, I am sad that I will not be able to dance with the friends I have known for years and dance in the studio that I have practically grown up in. Although I will be going off to college, I promise my dancing career will not end here. I plan to continue dancing ballet and even possibly try hip hop or jazz. I will be in a new studio and meet new dance-mates, but I will keep the memories forever.

-Nickel



No comments:

Post a Comment